As we age the skin loses its elasticity and firmness, cell turnover slows down, and collagen production decreases. Most importantly, the supporting tissue is disorganised, leading to loose skin and the appearance of increasingly deep wrinkles.
The beauty industry is currently saturated with brands promising to deliver more beautiful and radiant skin, making the quest for the perfect product never-ending.
With cosmetic procedures becoming a popular solution for more plumper and refined features, many of us are still a bit apprehensive about the idea of surgical enhancements.
Today we are spotlighting beauty’s best kept secret, Acmella Extract, a natural alternative to anti-ageing, referred to by many as the ‘plant botox’.
Sounds too good to be true? Read on...
What is Acmella Extract?
Acmella is a multifunctional plant which blooms all year round, native to Brazil’s Amazon Rainforest. It has been known for its anti-aging properties, its extract is not only used in cosmetic beauty care, but also in organic dentistry and supplements.
How can Acmella improve my skin?
When applied topically, the extract of the Acmella plant mimics botox treatments by relaxing the facial muscles and lessening muscle tension. Even though its muscle relaxant effects are temporary, the extract helps the skin in the long-term. With regular use, it has cumulative effects. Relaxing the muscles regularly will relieve built-up tension and retrain your face to rest in a more neutral position, eliminating one of the main causes of facial wrinkles.
The plant has concentrated effects on collagen production, skin density and firmness. As a result, the appearance of lines and wrinkles is softened, improving the skin's surface. Making it the perfect solution for anti-ageing.
Where can I find products with Acmella in them?
Acmella extract can be found in our Age Renewal range, which has been developed to soften wrinkles and prevent their early development. Formulated with other antioxidants, this range will give you a more healthier complexion without the need for injections. Remember, in order to reap the best benefits from this powerful ingredient, you must ensure that you look after your skin by keeping it cleansed, hydrated, and most importantly applying SPF everyday. Your skin will thank you!
Here are some of our product recommendations with a step by step routine:
- Cleansing is the starting point of any beauty routine, begin by using our gentle face cleanser to remove all impurities.
- Toning always comes after cleansing, as it helps to restore the skin's PH balance. We recommend patting on our firming facial toner for this.
- While the skin is still damp from the toner, gently apply your serum. Serums are proven to directly deliver active ingredients deep into the skin's layers, making it the perfect step before moisturising. Our Age Renewal Serum provides a range of antioxidants to penetrate deeply into the skin.
- Directly after applying your serum, massage an even layer of our Age Renewal Facial Cream onto your face and neck.
- With your ring finger lightly dab on the Anti-Fatigue Eye Cream working your way from the inner and outer corners.
- Finally, and most importantly, Sunscreen. Sunscreen should always be the last step in your skincare routine, it protects your skin from UV damage, allowing antioxidants to work to the best of their ability.
We have compiled a list of SPF’ suggestions where you can find at least one that is suitable for your skin type and tone.